Hospice pays for services, medications & equipment needed for palliative care.
- Medical care to help someone with a terminal illness live as well as possible for as long as possible, increasing quality of life.
- An interdisciplinary team of professionals who address physical, psychosocial, and spiritual distress focused on both the dying person and their entire family.
- Care that addresses symptom management, coordination of care, communication and decision making, clarification of goals of care, and quality of life.
Training for individuals who are interested in becoming volunteers to help patients and their families as they go through the stages of their illness.
After the passing of a loved one, our agency is there to help family members cope with their loss.
Providing team approach to quality, compassionate care at the end of life. Team approach to expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support tailored to the client and family’s needs and wishes.
The hospice team consists of:
- Client’s family/caregiver
- Client’s attending physician or HSP Hospice physician
- Registered Nurses
- Home Health Aides
- Medical Social Worker
- Spiritual Caregivers
- Licensed Counselors
- Trained Volunteers
- Other professionals such as Speech, Physical, and Occupational Therapists as needed
A Comparison of Medicare Home Health Benefit and Hospice Benefit
|Services||Medicare Home Health Benefit1||Medicare Hospice Benefit2|
|Physician||Part B: 80% of approved charges||Part B: Attending physician 80%; hospice physician 100%|
|Skilled Nursing||PT, intermittent or daily for 21 days or less.||Covered for skilled and supportive care|
|Medications||Not included||Related to terminal illness|
|DME||80% of approved amt||100% covered|
|Medical Supplies||Medical supplies||Medical & personal|
|24hr On-call Nurse||Not required||Included|
|MSS||Patient||Patient & caregivers|
|Homemaker/Home Health Aide||PT or intermittent, must provide w/restrictions||no hourly restriction|
|Volunteers||Not included||Patients, loved ones|
|Chaplain Services||Not covered||Covered|
|Bereavement Care||Not included||Included|
|PT. ST. OT||Limits on OT||Covered|